Pages

Monday, August 16, 2010

From the archive: "Singin' in the Rain"



"An' I caayyn't stan' 'im."
– Lina Lamont (it's really hard to type out her awesome nasal whine)

I'm a fan of musicals, let it be known. I grew up with Mom's record collection, which consisted primarily of anything Julie Andrews was ever in - "My Fair Lady," "The Sound of Music," "Camelot," "Mary Poppins." We would tape musicals off the TV (aw, tapes; aw, VHS) and I'd watch them endlessly, just to get the songs right.

So it's more than a little odd that until this movie group, I had never seen "Singin' in the Rain," widely considered to be one of the greatest musicals ever. We queued this one up at Lana's place four (four!) years ago. It has resided safely in my top 10 ever since.


My favorite trivia bits
  • Gene Kelly had a terrible cold the day he was scheduled to shoot the actual singing in the rain sequence - something like a 103 fever. The director was all set to send him home, but Kelly didn't want to waste the already prepared set. So he performed this joyful, incandescent, lighter-than-air tap dance when he must have felt like utter shit. And he did it in precisely one take. Then he went home. One take. A masterpiece. A-freakin-mazing.
  • Fun fact: the rain in that sequence was a mix of water and milk so it would show up better.

Seriously, look how high they get off the ground!
  •  Know who else was amazing? Donald O'Connor, who played the sidekick, Cosmo. Not only does he have these creepy bluer-than-blue eyes, but his bones seem to be made of rubber. He performs this gravity-defying song-and-dance bit for "Make 'em Laugh" where he literally tosses himself about the room, does back flips off walls with no wires or digital effects, and often in one looooooong take. Oh, and he was a four-pack-a-day smoker at the time. Insane. After they shot that scene, he went to bed for a week out of exhaustion. Then, naturally, the film was ruined in an accident, so he had to shoot the whole damn thing again.
  • Nother fun fact: That song, "Make 'em Laugh," sounds almost exactly like Cole Porter's "Be a Clown" - in both melody and lyric. Seriously, somebody could have been sued, it was that similar.
  • Cyd Charise was the amazing dancer in the Broadway Melody sequence - when she died last year, I read a story that she told about the difference between dancing with Gene Kelly and with Fred Astaire. When she danced with Kelly, she came home covered in bruises from being athletically tossed around. When she danced with Astaire, there wasn't a mark on her.
  •  Gene Kelly was, by many accounts, quite the tyrannical bastard during this film - and others, as I understand. He yelled at poor little 19-year-old Debbie Reynolds all the time and made her cry. He worked her so hard during the "Good Morning" dance routine that blood vessels in her feet burst. Donald O'Connor said he was terrified of making a mistake and getting yelled at by Kelly.
The scene that caused bloody feet. Jerk.
 
Seriously, there are tons of great bits of trivia like this, particularly for this film. And now I run into a problem. A lot of the backstage info adds up to one unavoidable fact: Gene Kelly = jerk. I don't want it to be this way. I love Gene Kelly. "Brigadoon" ("It's bloody Brigadoon!") was one of the early movies we taped from TV, and, c'mon, he's this cute, athletic, super talented Irish kid from New York. I want to love him. Then I go and find out that he was a mean, demanding boss who made his co-stars cry and stuff.

This has happened to me before. In college, I was most chagrined to discover that Robert Frost was a raging, competitive, rotten-to-his-kids asshole. But he's also one of my favorite poets. I have a hard time reconciling these two facts. I want my favorite artists to be cool people. I want them to be the kind of people I would want to work with (if they weren't you know, dead and stuff). The class where I found out about Robert Frost's bastard tendencies was an American Lit survey course that I have come to refer to as the Mean Old Bastard class. Almost without fail, every one of those great writers was not someone I would want to hang out with. (Gwendolyn Brooks excepted.)

Is it too much to ask that someone with enormous talent also be a nice guy? Or are they only capable of making great art by being bastards? 

Here's the requisite exception: You know how earlier I said Gene Kelly made Debbie Reynolds cry? She went and hid under a piano to do her crying because, c'mon, she was 19! Know who found her there and cheered her up? Fred Astaire. So at least one great artist was also a nice guy. 

On knowing things
Movie trivia is kind of my thing, as I might have mentioned. And there is a lot to know about this movie - that list above ain't the half of it, folks.

Sometimes, the trivia bolsters my movie-watching pleasure. Knowing about Kelly's fever or O'Connor's exhaustion makes those scenes even more incredible - knowing the human, breakable being behind those superhuman moves. But other times - the Gene Kelly is a Bastard Times - the trivia detracts. Looking for film flubs or flimsy sets - this can pull me out of the imagined world of the movie and take me backstage to where the sausage is made. And backstage is a cool place, yes, but it's like knowing the magician's tricks.

I wish I had seen "Singin' in the Rain" when I was a kid, before I knew anything about it. I still feel some wonder, some marvel at the talent on the screen when I see it now, but I don't get lost in the movie the way I could as a kid.

Nevertheless, every time this movie shows up on the TCM schedule, I drop everything and let it play. No flipping, no distractions. Gotta dance, people.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I just tried to post a comment to your blog, but it hasn't shown up, so here goes again! (Sorry if you end up having to delete one of them). Anyway, I stumbled across your blog, and think it's fascinating. I love old films, and Singin' is one of my favourites. However, it's an urban myth about milk being used in the title sequence - debunked by both directors, Gene Kelly and Stanley Donen, as well as other members of the crew. Also, that dance was filmed in three takes, not one, although Gene did have a raging fever at the time.

    Donald O'Connor did say that about Gene Kelly, but he also said that he was grateful to Gene, because prior to Singin', he (O'Connor) only danced with his feet, and Gene taught him how to dance with his whole body. The two men were friends for many years afterwards, and wanted to do another film together, but it never came to fruition, sadly.

    Debbie Reynolds suffered on that set, no doubt, but later on she wrote that she got her work ethic from Gene (basically, work constantly), and she would always be glad of that, because it kept her working for so long. She spoke very kindly of him as well, so I think they ironed out whatever differences they had.

    Although he was a workoholic and a perfectionist, Gene Kelly was a decent and kind man. He fought extremely hard to keep the Nicholas Brothers in his film The Pirate. The studio did not want them in, because they were black, but Gene made damn sure that they were in that film. (By the way, I highly recommend The Pirate if you've not seen it). He also took great care of Judy Garland during that film. She was very messed up, and sometimes incapable of filming. He took the blame for some of her mistakes, and on one occasion, he feigned an injury so that shooting would be put off for the day, because Judy was simply not up to it.

    Cyd Charisse's husband did say that he would always know if she had danced with Gene or Fred, because she had bruises all over if she had been dancing with Gene. I always assumed that was because Gene's dance style was much more athletic than Fred's. (And I know from personal experience how easily it is to get bruised and knocked as a dancer). Cyd and Gene were friends, as were Fred and Gene.

    So I hope I might have made you feel a bit better about Gene Kelly :) I'm off to read some more of your blog now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your assessment is spot on. Kelly was a total jerk. Like, grade A A--hole.

    I know this because a close family member (I'll abbreviate FM herein), who was just starting to get heat on his career as a young man, was cast in a major role in a movie alongside Kelly. When FM was introduced to Kelly on the first day of filming, FM humbly said it was an honor to be working alongside him. Kelly said nothing to reciprocate, and instead gave FM the up and down, and insecurely criticized FM's "booming voice" (i.e. gorgeous and masculine) and height (6'). He was an absolute ass to everyone on set. NO one liked him.

    Years later when FM was quite famous, had a wonderful reputation for being gracious and lovely to the entire cast and crew of every film set he was on, and the press loved him, Kelly approached him at a premiere and shook his hand, smiling for the cameras. Acted as if he was his best pal, because it would give him publicity. A--hole.

    Unfortunately that wasn't the end of the interaction as some of my family members had to attend high school with one of his children.

    Awful man.

    ReplyDelete